How to Make a Claim for Pharmacy Negligence in the UK: A Step-by-Step Guide


In the UK, the NHS is free at the point of use. If you qualify for free NHS treatment and need to visit a pharmacist, you should not have to pay any fees. However, despite this being something that every UK citizen can rely on, there are many reasons why people fall victim to pharmacy negligence. Read this article to find out what options are available if you think you’ve been affected by negligence in a pharmacy setting.

Make a Pharmacy negligence claim?

Make a Pharmacy negligence claim: There are a few different types of pharmacy negligence that can occur. The most common is when a pharmacist dispenses the wrong medication to a patient. This can happen if the pharmacist is not paying attention, or if they are rushing through their work. Other types of pharmacy negligence include dispensing expired medications, or failing to properly label medications.

If you believe that you have been the victim of pharmacy negligence, you should contact a solicitor as soon as possible. They will be able to assess your case and advise you on whether or not you have a strong claim. If you do have a strong claim, they will help you to gather evidence and build your case so that you can get the compensation you deserve.

What type of pharmacies are covered by the legislation?

The legislation applies to all registered pharmacies in the UK, including hospitals, high street chemists, and online pharmacies. It does not matter whether the pharmacy is run by the NHS, a private company, or an independent contractor.

Which health professionals can make a claim for pharmacy negligence?

If you feel that you have been a victim of pharmacy negligence, there are a few health professionals who can help you make a claim. These include:

Your GP: Your GP can help to assess whether or not you have a case for pharmacy negligence. They will also be able to refer you to a specialist solicitor if necessary.

A pharmacist: A pharmacist can help to assess whether or not your case is strong enough to take to court. They can also provide expert testimony if required.

A solicitor: A solicitor specializing in clinical negligence cases will be able to advise you on the best course of action and represent you in court if necessary.

The process for making a claim for pharmacy negligence in the UK is as follows:

1. Speak to a solicitor who specialises in this area of law to get advice on your chances of success and whether you have a valid claim.

2. Gather evidence to support your claim, such as medical records, prescriptions, and any correspondence with the pharmacy in question.

3. Write a letter of complaint to the pharmacy detailing your concerns and outlining what you believe to be their negligence.

4. If the pharmacy does not respond satisfactorily or refuses to compensate you, you can take your case to the Pharmacy Regulatory Authority (PRA).

5. The PRA will investigate your complaint and decide whether or not the pharmacy has breached its code of conduct. If it finds that the pharmacy is at fault, it can impose sanctions against them, such as issuing a warning or suspending their licence.

6. If you are still not satisfied with the outcome, you can take your case to court. However, this is usually only advisable if you have suffered financial loss as a result of the negligence, as legal action can be costly and time-consuming.

How does the limitation period work when making a claim for pharmacy negligence in the UK?

If you’ve been the victim of pharmacy negligence in the UK, you may be wondering how the limitation period works when making a claim. The limitation period is the amount of time you have to file a claim after an injury has occurred. In the UK, the limitation period for most personal injury claims is three years. This means that you have three years from the date of your injury to file a claim.

However, there are some exceptions to this rule. If you were under the age of 18 at the time of your injury, you have three years from your 18th birthday to file a claim. If you didn’t discover your injury until after the three-year period had already passed, you have one year from the date of discovery to file a claim.

There are also some special circumstances that can extend the limitation period. If the person or company responsible for your injuries has left the country, for example, you may have six years to file a claim. And if there are multiple defendants involved in your case, each one will have their own individual limitation period.

The best way to ensure that you don’t miss the deadline for filing your claim is to speak with a solicitor as soon as possible after your injury occurs. They can help determine which deadline applies in your case and make sure that your claim is filed before it’s too late.

Statute of limitations on claims for prescription errors

The UK has a strict statute of limitations when it comes to claims for prescription errors. This means that if you believe you have been the victim of pharmacy negligence, you must take legal action within six years of the date on which the negligence occurred.

If you are unsure whether or not your claim falls within this time frame, it is important to seek legal advice as soon as possible. There are some exceptions to the rule, so it is always best to speak to a solicitor who can assess your case and advise you on the best course of action.

Compensation: what to expect if your claim is successful

If your claim for pharmacy negligence is successful, you can expect to receive compensation for any damages that you have suffered as a result of the negligence. This can include compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. The amount of compensation you will receive will depend on the severity of your injuries and the impact that the negligence has had on your life.


If you have suffered as a result of pharmacy negligence in the UK, you may be entitled to compensation. Making a claim can be daunting, but our step-by-step guide will help you through the process so that you can get the justice and financial redress you deserve. If you have any further questions or would like assistance with your claim, please do not hesitate to contact us on